Acre’s Co-Founder Monica Adair is speaking at the Royal Architecture Institute Of Canada’s 2016 Festival of Architecture in Nanaimo Thursday June 9th. Alongside Monica, the Plenary session: Small is Big: Architectural Connexions to Our Community will include Brian MacKay-Lyons, Marc Kushner, Peter Busby and will be moderated by Shirley Blumberg!
Monica will also be speaking on June 11th about our Storied Architecture – Creating Meaning on the Fringe. If you are in the area, please register and come say hello!
See more at: RAIC Arch Festival
As partners in both life and business – they’re husband and wife and founders of Acre Architects – Monica Adair and Stephen Kopp are no strangers to juggling work life and home life and everything in between.
They don’t believe they can have it all, but strive to make their time matter. Read more about their interview with Huddle here.
Join us for presentations and discussions from Greg Hemmings of Hemmings House and Adam McKim, founder of local charity CHAT to the Future. They’ll be here to talk about the history of CHAT to the Future, the recent founding of Ugandan sister organization CHAT U, and the future of these efforts to promote global citizenship, social entrepreneurship, and sustainable development across the world.
Acre and CHAT will also be unveiling our preliminary designs for the CHAT U House.
Friday, February 5th, 2016
Doors open at 8:10
Presentation starts at 8:30
Wrap-up by 9:30
2015 was a big year for us in many different ways. Here are twelve of our favourite memories at the office and at the job site;
1. Co-Founder Monica Adair wins the RAIC Young Architect Award.
2. Partners Monica Adair and Stephen Kopp speak at Portland’s Museum of Art for Architalx lecture series.
3. Part of ThirdShift, our THE PARK installation transformed Granan Lane shifted peoples perception of the transformative potential of what urban space could be.
4. Acre’s work and process profiled in the May issue of the AIA’s ARCHITECT magazine.
5. Co-Founder Monica Adair is Chatelaine’s Ms. September!
6. Acre’s adaptive re-use work in designing Port City Royal recognized with city Heritage Award. See Port City Royal listed as En Route’s 2nd best new restaurant of the year!
7. Not one, but two of Acre’s custom home designs featured in Playboy. Yes, Playboy.
8. W Network’s ‘Real Houses Of….‘ showcases two Acre projects in Season 1, episode 8.
9. Monica Adair talks about creating your own myth at the Walrus Magazines Innovation lecture series.
10. The first of our morning lecture series Morning Mess is created. We try to have one every couple of months or so and the next one will be mid-January.
11. The RoBe house featured in Dwell Magazine’s Rooms We Love issue!
12. Canadian Business magazine profiles Acre in How Great Design Happens.
Congratulations go out to our friends at Port City Royal, who have earned the second spot on enRoute magazine’s list of the best new Canadian restaurants of 2015.
Time plays tricks on you at Port City Royal. Duck in off a steep side street in the uptown of Canada’s oldest incorporated city, and your footfalls echo over worn floorboards.
Read more at enRoute and see video here!
Acre’s Co-Founder and RAIC Young Architect of the year talks about her 10 years in architecture and life since graduating from AL&D this coming Thursday at 12:30pm. The Daniels Sessions looks to explore new and alternative viewpoints on architectural practice and research. Monica will be talking to students and staff about the building of Acre Architects, the Acre Collective and her journey from New York to Saint John. Join us Thursday afternoon if you are in the area and you might also see us at Twenty+Change’s NEXT GENERATION launch at Urbanspace Gallery later in the evening!
Join Acre’s Co-Founder Monica Adair tonight at the Marco Polo Cruise Terminal for her talk on risk, play and not taking the conventional order of things as a given. The Walrus Talks start at 7pm and there will be a reception following. Doors open at 6pm. Check out the Walrus for the amazing 8 speakers! See you there.
Acre Architects is pleased to share a special look into the lives of our clients in two different Acre originals showcased tonight 10EST as part of the W Network’s Real House of…Atlantic Canada. These clients were amongst the first Acre supporters when we started our practice. It is great to see their dreams come to life. To think back to conversations over wine at the beginning of these projects turn into showcases of incredible homes in North America – quite humbling. Wonderful work Talons of Venice, Hemmings House Pictures and W Network – makes us want to keep creating! Also, seeing the footage of these projects makes us really want to thank all the talented people that brought it to life – especially: Judith & Robert and Chas & Jennifer!
In case you missed ‘Ms September’, our very own Monica Adair talks bourbon, beer and passion; see Chatelaine’s feature of Ms.Adairhere. And, in case you are in the mood for some musical Ms.Chatelaine nostalgia, take a listen to this link.
“You only have one life, and it just feels like it can be so big.” Monica Adair
Thanks to Sean McGrath for the photo and to Mike Capson for the Chatelaine photoshoot and jokes on site. Monica also wants to thank Laura Smith, Char & Adam Donnelly for “la look”!
Acre Architects would like to thank everyone who came out to THE PARK, an urban intervention that took over Grannan Lane as part of Third Shift on Friday. Acre is excited to be a part of the discourse towards creating pedestrian prioritized streets & more parties in our beautiful city. Thanks to Third Space and everyone who made the event possible!
Photo by Mark Hemmings. You can see more of the great work he captured for Third Shift on his blog here!